What’s different about academic editing?
Academic writing is in a different format than general writing, uses different language structure, and has a different purpose and tone.
Most writing is meant to engage the reader and keep them interested in continuing the reading journey through characters, plot, or engaging their curiosity. Academic writing’s sole purpose is to clearly convey information using the language of the scholar. The reader will continue reading because they need to know the results of the study not because the writer has enticed them through the plot.
When I wrote my thesis, my major professor had to tell me not to used varied language but to say everything in the same way so it was clear and concise . No fluff please! No use of unnecessary adjectives (he may or may not have used the word boring).
Then there is the language of the topic. I have two masters degrees, one in animal science-equine nutrition and the other in business administration. I speak these two languages fluently and can wade into a thesis or dissertation from these two industries fairly easily.
If your academic paper is in physics or math, I might not be the best editor for you simply because I don’t have that background and knowledge base. I can point out spelling, grammar, punctuation, and formatting errors, but I’ll be useless is catching incorrect formulas or pointing out flawed connections between ideas.
What does it cost?
Editing the body of work (abstract, chapters, etc.) is based on word count with adjustments made as word count increases. Checking proper formatting and verifying TOC accuracy is a time consuming and varied process that requires a separate pricing model.
Body of Work
- 500-25,000 words are $0.03/word
- Each word over 25,000 is $0.025/word
- A 10,000 word paper would be priced at $0.03/word=$300
- A 30,000 word dissertation would be priced at ($0.03*25,000 words) + ($0.025*5000 words)=$875
Formatting, Table of Contents, References, Works Cited, Bibliography
- Check TOC page numbers – $70
- Verify page formatting matches committee requirements – $150
- Confirm reference pages are formatted appropriately – $5/reference
What is the process?
The process is simple. We talk, verify that we’re a good fit, confirm details, and we’re on our way!
- Discovery Call
- Explain what you need, your project, and scope of project.
- We’ll confirm that your needs and my skillsets are a great match.
- Initial proposal
- This will include pricing, project details, scope of work, and deadlines.
- Confirm details are as discussed.
- Send me the document
- I get started!
Ready to get started or have questions?
Contact me to schedule a free discovery call. No strings attached.